The Food Action Committee has been involved in the People’s Food Policy Project since it began over two years ago and on April 18, 2011 the People’s Food Policy was released! This is a national grassroots initiative to develop a pan-Canadian food policy based on the principles of Food Sovereignty. Key recommendations in the policy include:
• Localize the system so that food is eaten as close as possible to where it is produced, and so that food dollars support the local economy;
• Support food providers in a widespread shift to ecological production, including programs to help new farmers get on the land;
• Enact poverty elimination and prevention programs to ensure all Canadians can better afford healthy food;
• Create a nationally-funded child food strategy;
• Ensure that the public is actively involved in decisions that affect the food system.
Even if you missed dinner, you can still participate by signing the pledge and writing to you MP to tell them you support the People’s Food Policy.